Liss Athletic Reserves 1-0 Sholing Development Squad

Mitchell Frost 87 mins

Wyvern East Division - 17/08/16 - Newman Collard Playing Fields

LISS ATH: Arron Jones, Mark Gawn, Ross Betteridge [c], Richard Winslade, Leigh Ewing, Grant Dove, Mitchell Frost, Jordan Hughes (Sam Gunnell 76), Kevin Russell, Andy Maunder(Ife Owoyemi-Aine 42), Dean Conger-Thompson. Subs: Josh Whitehead, Steve Davis

Yellow Cards: Jordan Hughes, Ross Betteridge

SHOLING: Josh Helm, Jack Fisher, Jack Attrill, Sam Gregory, Liam Attrill [c], Harry Butler, Harvey Craig, Kristian Cozzolino, Luke Bergg (Jamie Staples 83), Tanka Madzvamutse, Lewis Eades (Connor Pearson 88)  Subs: Jack Newman

Yellow Cards: None

Referee: Carl Rooney

Attendance: 38

Team News: Sholing development side fielded mainly a youthful line-up. The average age was 17, with 7 16yr olds and 5 18yr olds. The starting line-up saw only 5 of last year’s side starting.

The Wyvern campaign got underway with Iain Calder, Steve Ross & Steve Blackbird at the helm with a rebuilt squad from last season. The Liss players appeared physically bigger and older, but it was Sholing who made the brighter start passing the ball around easily. Referee Rooney issued his caution on 7 mins for Jordan Hughes rash challenge. Luke Bergg had an opening on 15 mins but his hasty effort was sliced wide of the goal. Kristian Cozzolino was also denied when his shot was blocked. Lewis Eades shot from 20 yds was denied by Arron Jones finger tipped save on 37 mins. Andy Maunder was replaced on 42 mins by Ife Owoyemi-Aine. The first half ended in stalemate with both side creating chances with Sholing looking the more likely to score. HT: 0-0

2nd half was much the same, with Sholing more positive and Liss struggling with their fitness level with the game being disrupted by injuries. Luke Bergg was again denied when his shot was blocked on 73 mins.

A 2nd Liss caution was followed by Sam Gunnell replacing Jordan Hughes on 76 mins. Jack Fisher’s long ball up the line on 78 mins found TK who kept the ball in but the defender blocked his cross resulting in yet another stoppage as defender went down injured. With Josh Helm a virtual spectator in the Sholing goal Arron Jones was keeping the Sholing attack at bay.

Kristian Cozzolino was the next to see his effort go over the bar with his appeals for a corner waved away on 80 mins. A minute later Liss were award a free kick but Josh Helm comfortably saved the shot.

When Sholing went to make their 1st substitution Luke Bergg left the field Jamie Staples came on but was told to leave the field to change his socks leaving Sholing down to 10 men. Then, bizarrely, Luke Bergg was reinstated by referee Rooney but on 83 mins the substitution eventually took place to the referee’s satisfaction.

With the game looking more likely to finish deadlocked, a long ball for Sam Gunnell to chase resulted in Liss winning a free kick when Josh Helm curtailed Gunnell’s run by the corner flag. From the free kick Mitchell Frost rose above the Sholing defence to head home from 8yds with two minutes of the clock remaining. Lewis Eades was replaced by Connor Pearson before the restart. Sholing continued to chase an equaliser and were luckless despite an extra four minutes of stoppage time. FT: 1-0

After the match Iain Calder was obviously disappointed however he reflected that the season is not all about one match and it will be a long season for the boys and they will grow match on match and will gain valuable experience. We now move on to Bosham at home next Tuesday at the Universal Stadium, no doubt another good test for us.