Sholing Development Squad 0-1 Salisbury Development

Scorers: Ashton Leigh 70’

Date: 1st August - 7.45 pm - John Stimpson Memorial Shield

Sholing: Josh Helm, Jean-Luc Ramdin, Jack Attrill, Kieran Winman, Liam Attrill [C], Harrison Butler, Sam Jenman (Nick Yeomans 60’), Alex Sawyer, Luke Bergg (Joel Drew 60’), Tanka Madzvamutse (Jamie Staples 75’), Kristian Cozzolino. Unused Subs: Connor Pearson, Aaron Whitmarsh

Salisbury: Barnaby Conagdon, Charlie Rayfield, Ashton Leigh, Charlie Burden, Ellis Roy-Lewis (Adam Flint 55), Charlie Blake, Eddie Perrett, Chae Sykes, Reece Rusher, Tom Thorne. Unused Subs: Samuel Turner, Amrit Singh, Matthew Holmes.

Attendance: 68  Referee: Ryan Woods

Sholing Development side saw a closely fought match end in defeat at home to Salisbury in the John Stimpson Memorial Shield Group phase match overseen by both 1st team managers Dave Diaper & Steve Claridge.

Team News: Nick Yeomans was drafted into the squad after arriving back from holiday 10 hours before also Alex Sawyer played being he is unavailable for the FA Cup tie on Saturday. Kieran Winman replaced the rested Sam Gregory & Marlon Mason but both warmed up with the squad also prior to the kick off Joel Ghosh resigned for the club.

The first 45’ was closely contested and that was apparent through the opening exchange. Salisbury had the first clear cut chance as James Clarke whipped a ball into the box which found Tom Thorne. Thorne should have put the visitors into the lead but his header looped over the bar.

From this Sholing could have taken the lead themselves as the next couple of chances fell to the home side. The first came when Liam Attrill sent a clearance over the top which left Luke Bergg in behind. After a duel with Ellis Roy-Lewis, he took a shot at goal which he unfortunately dragged his shot wide.

The second came when another clearance left a Sholing player in behind the defence. The clearance this time coming from Josh Helm in goal which sent first team regular Alex Sawyer in on goal. Alex Sawyer opted to cut back on himself and try to tee up a team mate. His pass was eventually cut out as Sholing won a corner.

As the attacks went back and forth, Salisbury once again felt they could have been in front. A nice piece of interlinking play between Reece Rusher, Tom Thorne and James Clarke saw Thorne sent down the right hand side after Harrison Butler miss-timed his sliding tackle. Luckily for the hosts Thorne’s shot went just wide.

A penalty shout for the visitors came when Chae Clarke went to ground after Ashton Leigh’s shot fell to the Salisbury man. The referee waved away the penalty claims.

Sholing looked to grow back into the match when Alex Sawyer beat his man well and took a shot from 25 yards. His shot flew straight at the Salisbury goalkeeper who held.

From this point the next 10 minutes was quite uneventful with both teams essentially cancelling each other out.

There was also a stoppage in time when a 50/50 ball into the Sholing box was contested by Reece Rusher, Liam Attrill and ‘keeper Josh Helm. Rusher came off worse in the collision which took place which meant a stoppage in play so the Salisbury attacker could receive treatment.

The last clear cut chance of the half fell to Salisbury as Eddie Parrett to a quick free-kick down the left hand side into the path of Tom Thorne who progressed with the ball and he picked out Thorne. Thorne’s turn and shot was fired straight at Josh Helm who held well.

Sholing responded with a couple of half chances when Kristian Cozzolino hit a half volley straight at the Salisbury ‘keeper, and when Kieran Winman hit a looping shot over the bar. HT 0-0

The second half started as the first ended, Salisbury slightly on top but Sholing coping well and creating chances of their own. Both sides were trying to send balls over the top but neither side could find their targets and both sides were struggling to make the ball stick up top

Sholing’s best chance of the match came when Alex Sawyer dispossess Chae Sykes and plays in Kristian Cozzolino who’s good effort flew over the bar.

The opening goal of the match came on 70’ from a Salisbury corner. The ball was sent in by Reece Rusher who found Ashton Leigh, who created a bit of space for himself and headed the visitors into the lead.

Sholing responded well when Alex Sawyer played the ball down the left hand side to Tanka Madzvamutse whose shot forced a good save from Barnaby Conagdon in the Salisbury goal.

Sholing were being limited to efforts from outside the box when Kristian Cozzolino had a couple of efforts, one of which deflected wide for a corner and the other being held well by the Salisbury ‘keeper.

Sholing were pushing for an equaliser and it almost came when Kieran Winman won the ball and strode forward. He then played the ball to Joel Drew who controlled well and hit a low shot just wide. After this the chances dried up for the home side and Salisbury regained control.

The last chances of the game fell to Salisbury when Adam Flint found space on the edge of the box but his shot curled wide when he should have tested Josh Helm.

A Salisbury free-kick from the Salisbury half, taken by James Clarke, almost bounced over Helm in goal but the Sholing ‘keeper managed to just tip it over the bar. The resulting corner results in goalscorer Ashton Leigh half volley firing over the bar.

A good performance from the development Sholing side will be the encouragement taken from the defeat against a very strong Salisbury side. FT 0-1

Report by Sam Cox