Newport IW Reserves 1-0 Sholing Development

Jimmi Burton 32

St. Georges Park Saturday 5th November 2016

NEWPORT: Jamie Linington, Keelan Walsh, Jacob Reynolds, Caleb Charlesworth, Callum Chase, Mark Taylor, Jimmi Burton, Lewis Wade [c], Harry Wade, Alex Harmer, Joseph Wangige. Subs: Liam Sumpter, Harrison Yates, Jack Turkington, Harry Green.

Yellow Card: Walsh, Wade

Red Card: Walsh

SHOLING: Josh Helm, Connor Pearson, Jack Fisher, Sam Jenman [c], Harrison Butler, Sam Gregory, Tanaka (TK) Madzvamutse (Fraser McLean 75), Kristian Cozzolino (Jamie Staples 67), Marlon Mason, Joel Ghosh, Luke Bergg.

Yellow Card: Jenman, Butler, Mason, Ghosh

Red Card: Helm

Referee: Luke Pierce

Sholing Development visited St George's Park on Saturday 5th Nov and the 90 minutes was certainly full of fireworks. Both sides fielded young teams and no doubt Sholing looked a well organised set up, However they weren't prepared for a Newport side that were determined to play as a team and win.

Early on Keelan Walsh got booked on the edge of Newport's box. Callum Chase who ended as man of the match came into the centre back position with Caleb Charlesworth after Ollie West was taken by the first team late Friday night.

Newport fielded Mark Taylor who partnered young Alex Harmer in central midfield. The game was end to end and Newport took the lead on 32 minutes after Jacob Reynolds put a free kick into a dangerous position and Jimmi Burton got the slightest of touches to put Newport one up. 5 minutes later Harry Wade hit the crossbar from close range where Newport should have gone 2 up. On 49 minutes the game exploded on the edge of the Sholing's box when Keelan Walsh was fouled from a very late tackle. Sholing were awarded a free kick and sent Keelan Walsh off for a second caution. 30 seconds later Sholing's keeper followed Keelan down the tunnel for descent at one of Newport players. HT 1-0

The second half started as the first. Sholing piled the pressure on Newport but The Port stayed solid. On 65 minutes Newport should have doubled their lead when 3 separate players had shots at the Sholing goal as the ball ricocheted around Sholings box but Newport just could not get the ball into the net. With the final whistle looming the Sholing centre forward was put through and with just the Newport keeper to beat he shot and Jamie Linington pulled off the save of the match. The final whistle was welcomed by all.  FT 1-0